Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Dakshineswar Kali Temple     [pilgrimage info / notes]

Pilgrimage to Sri Ramakrishna 2002 has useful information and a bunch of photos (plus a map of the temple grounds). Among other things, the chap writes:
Travel to Dakshineswar is easy by taxi or by Metro to Dum Dum then cycle-rickshaw (neither avoids the noise and pollution but the latter does minimise it). The best way by far is boat to/from Belur ghat but you still have to take a taxi to/from Belur. And finally, on the basis of harsh experience, never go anywhere without a supply of toilet paper.
I definitely like the boat idea! He also notes that there is
no guide book for visitors to the Ramakrishna sites although the book 'Sri Ramakrishna's Dakshineswar' by the Ramakrishna Sarada Mission, Delhi, is extremely useful.


(Paramahamsa Ramakrishna's room)



==============

Meanwhile, a woman in my office remarked, "I hear you're heading for greener pastures."

"I plan to take a year's sabbatical from my American life," I explained.

"What do you plan to do?"

"I'll mainly be in India, studying music . . . "

She instantly fished out the current issue of Red Herring, pointing to an article --
Many 20-something Europeans are heading to India to give their careers a kick start. “Eastward-Bound” tells why U.S. and Asian expats may soon follow.
-- but the article's not available online right now (sans rigamarole). Perhaps I'll have to fend for meself, lacking cutting-edge rumor. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home