Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Amir Khusro's Paradox

Khusro!   the current of loving
            wow!   it flows in reverse!
who've survived   are the ones who're drowning
    who submerged   are the ones who've crossed



Khusro
dariya prem kaa
ulti waa ki dhaar
jo ubhara so doob gaya
jo dooba so paar


[thanks to Rajendra Pradhan for the verse, and for giving an initial (literal) translation (in course of discussion about love-poetry on the Caferati forum)]

I'd first written:
Khusro!   the torrent of love --
          its flow is too bizarre!
whoso swims   will certainly sink!
      the drowned have found the shore!
but Rajendra sent some corrective notes; the newer version above is another attempt. My plane leaves for Mumbai in half a day; I may not get this finalized for a while. The post presents a rendering in progress. [I wrote "currently presents" -- which sufficed to give me the word "current," now incorporated above. ;-)]

Rajendra's corrective note is worth noting:
Actually, "ulti" means reverse. "dhaar" means flow. "ubharaa" means floated (rather managed not to drown).
That accounts for the revisions.

now added the word "really" to line 2, as I'm thinking that's the sense of waa -- it's an intensifier, no? like saying "really, man!" hmm?
(as in the Punjabi mantram, which concludes siri waa guru -- which I've heard translated as "wow!" In fact maybe I'll go for the wow, and forget the really [erstwhile: "its flow really goes in reverse"] The internal rhyme between "wow!" and "drow[ning] is rather the clincher, I think. I wrote "it flows   wow!   in reverse" -- but even if this follows the Urdu word-order, it's a bit choppy in English.

2 Comments:

Blogger Enemy of the Republic said...

He lives! I was worried about you. Now I'm jealous!

Thu Nov 24, 07:09:00 PM PST  
Blogger david raphael israel said...

Hi En --
alive & well, thanks!
cheers, d.i.

Wed Nov 30, 10:23:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home