Tuesday, November 01, 2005

"happiness" [ghazal]

to speak with you   is a happiness   for me
may I seek of you   this happiness   for me?

born in foolsville   (jowling the bell of tradition)
to be cheeky with you   is a happiness   for me

when chitchat connotes a labyrinth of deep learning
all the Greek of you   becomes happiness   for me

each gatha richa & sher   may be high in wisdom
but the peek of you   is the happiness   for me

when the factory output cookie-cut folk   where'd you go?
the unique of you   is a happiness   for me

O sepia friend! your photograph proved bewitching
the antique of you   was a happiness   for me

when Begum Akhtar quavered   the room could reel
the mystique of you   was a happiness   for me

the wisdom-book gets rewritten   in every yug
the God-Speak of you   is a happiness   for me

do pen more poems!   autumnal flowers are so rare!
the critique of you   is a happiness   for me

if I seek you in hill & dale   you're more clever than clover!
hide-&-seek of you   is a happiness   for me

Egyptian scribes   are discreet about royal affairs
not to leak of you   was a happiness   for me

O mother-bird!   I cry for love & laddoo
for the beak of you   is a happiness   for me

the water of life   refreshes the weary landscape
& the creek of you   is a happiness   for me

I love your yugs & years   your himalayan heights
half a week of you   is a happiness   for me

A single word in your voice   is like rich ice-craam!
am I freaking you?   you're a happiness   for me

in life   Ardeo   natural art intrigues
the batik of you   is a happiness   for me




each gatha richa & sher : each of these words signifies a verse or stanza of poetic writing -- respectively from Sanskrit (especially Mahayana Buddhist), Sankrit (specifically Vedic), and Urdu (e.g. ghazal) traditions

Begum Akhtar; (also this book news). The Makar Site (see named-artist links at right) includes a 2-min. sample of her singing.
mmm -- on same site, I'm now hearing (1st time for me) Bahauddin Dagar's Rudra Vina (in 2-min. clip). What tone. What an instrument. Encouraging to hear this.


God Speaks: The Theme of Creation and its Purpose (1956/1973) was Meher Baba's magnum opus in terms of a spritual cosmology.

batik (though I was thinking a bit more of the crackly, chancy sort where natural randomness prevails; anyway this-here sort of batik shows nature-representation; the other discovers (one side of) nature itself, sampled rather than represented; either way, we're amid an art/nature continuum)

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

cheek by jowl inside a verse
(methinks there could be things much worse)
a post-mortem on the paranthesis
(makes good material for a thesis)

if you can gut-her, rich-er and share
and all those bad puns bear
(and lionise -
did you know that sher is also lion?)
then why, I see no wrinkles to iron

:D

Tue Nov 01, 11:30:00 PM PST  
Blogger david raphael israel said...

Annotation from Ishqa!
urbane (if hard to parse)
largessing of a shah
would be less dear: the farce
is I (self-styled as clever)
to parse it must endeavor
my wrinkled brow Ishqa
wants ironing (now or never)

the lion-bit was new to me
the "share" of sher seems true to me
the "gut-her" while askew to me
I'm richer (what you do to me)

riposte to lionize Ishqa?
O happy (stormy) weather!

d.i.

Wed Nov 02, 12:05:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home