Tuesday, November 01, 2005

"silence" [ghazal]

I'll settle my score   and cross your field   of silence
have I lost the war?   I'll surrender my shield   in silence

did I seek to achieve   far too many leaves   too swiftly?
was I hoping for   a more fruitful yield   than silence?

the gracious observe   the grace of moderate aims
the ignorant floor the pedal   unkeeled   from silence

to love one soul   is to add its life to your life
who truely adore the world   unseal   its silence

help me toward small achievements   tidying chaos
ambitions have torn at the fragile peel   of silence

the turning spheres desire that we return them
no look forlorn   nor broken wheel   pure silence

is it easy to please many people?   sincerity's balm
is needed   & more desire to feel   the shared silence

the lord of the world is a mountain   hidden from view
we heed his lore amid foothills   healed   by silence

Ardeo!   has luck gone dry?   perchance like Achilles
your odious floor   needs riparian zeal   in silence

2 Comments:

Blogger ~Nitoo Das~ said...

Silence does make a nice radiif.

Wed Nov 02, 01:36:00 AM PST  
Blogger david raphael israel said...

Yes -- though not very original as such; vaguely, I've an idea that in Rumi's Divani-Shamsi-Tabriz [his ghazal collection], there may be many ghazals with that Radif. Though on other hand, maybe he somehow uses "silence" in place of a pen-name in some; a question that would need some looking into.

Anyway, I feel this ghazal of mine is so-so. I much more like the 2 below it & the 2 above it. ;-) (particularly the latest two above). This one I might try to refine a bit, will see.

Wed Nov 02, 08:22:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home