Wednesday, December 21, 2005

"The darker side"   [classico-boomerang]

The hour grows late   I sit before the screen
I kill the lights   the words appear in lines

the poem wants   a cadence   slow serene
the ear requires   a music   plain refined

the simpler grows   the sentence that I write

the clearer proves   the meaning that I've seen

how lovely rests   the darker side of night!
the hour grows late   I sit before the screen




[For Alankrita Pandey -- written with the aim of drawing a bit closer in form & spirit to such a poem's classical Chinese antecedents. I expound on this form at some length here.]

3 Comments:

Blogger Vasudev Murthy said...

very cool. I like the lime green.

Wed Dec 21, 05:05:00 AM PST  
Blogger Pincushion said...

this is simple and beautiful..just the way i like it..
no bombasticity here..
just simple linearity of words..
will surely be back :)

Wed Dec 21, 09:31:00 AM PST  
Blogger david raphael israel said...

Thanks VM & Pincush!

This most-spare mode of writing is one perhaps I should return to more. As with music, where a few notes sounded from depths can convey more than running around like chicken w/ proverbial head chopped off, so too . . .

so: w/ appreciations appreciated,
d.i.

Wed Dec 21, 11:39:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home