Wednesday, December 28, 2005

"...in vain"       [ghazal]

I sought you for a thousand years   in vain
I wept for you a thousand tears   in vain

I held for you a thousand tender hopes
& sometimes felt a thousand fears   in vain

when I learned you could show your face in a pristine facet
did I polish the dust from a thousand mirrors   in vain?

believing one's apt to meet you   in some tavern
mightn't faith & wine both disappear     in vain?

even a dimwit   sometimes reached   your levee!
while sheer geniuses downed a thousand beers   in vain

does everyone join you nightly   deep in slumberland?
or do boats approach a thousand piers     in vain?

your hide & seek grows more surreal each moment
I ask the taxicab who steers?   in vain

no sooner you draw my card   let me call your bet
for I've played a thousand solitaires   in vain

if I've lost the thought of finding you   what I seek now
is absurdity     with a thousand cheers   in vain

the strings that pulled us left & right   were occluded
while we asked about the puppeteers     in vain!

the pen seems fine!   but the ink could be running low
even poetry finally just disappears       in vain?

the belovėd absented herself     yet the talk rolled on!
boasting gold (her joy)   & pearls (her tears)   in vain

could a thousand days pass rapidly   in pain's desert?
but Majnùn requested five volunteers     in vain

if all rivers were seeking the sea   yet where did the sea go?
was the cloud absurd?     were its precious tears   in vain?

if Ardeo   were driven to seek   but failed to see you
did night hear   the bluster of chanticleers   in vain?

what if finally you're minded to buy   the heart of Ardeo?
go & ask   a thousand auctioneers     in vain


1 Comments:

Blogger david raphael israel said...

I regret to report this trivial oddment of saints (with its (irreverent) setting of irrelevancies) struck me as vaguely disappointing. I went looking for love but found (haphazard) marketing in vain. I wanted to be boggled! The list seemed strangely paltry, alas. But thanks anyway. (All that said: I apologize for setting so high a standard for saint websites!)

I'm gratified to see at least you're (seemingly -- or possibly) a human & not strictly a robot. If so, more power to you!

cheers, d.i

Thu Dec 29, 01:29:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home