Wednesday, December 28, 2005

"winter's resolution"       [ghazal]

Is it only spring that could satisfy       winter's resolution?
were it only the sun that might clarify   winter's resolution?

I wasn't shopping for winter!   don't think I sought out pain!
I desired a change   so I qualified       (winter's resolution)

winter came looking for me   in all the right places   too
my neck & my tosies could verify     winter's resolution

the happiness of spring   is described by gardens & bowers!
but austerity is what can satisfy       winter's resolution

did the snowflakes seem a mere afterthought?   they knew their stuff
like some perfect lie     how they beautify   winter's resolution!

I wasn't born amid winter!         I come from merry May!
yet December desired my friendship   why?   winter's resolution?

when winter went quietly weeping   we were stunned   then nervous
now her icy knives seek to dignify       winter's resolution?

yes they're making their resolutions now     nigh to hibernation
do the bears expound how the fish might try   winter's resolution?

when the spring resolved to make summer's fruit   was it seeking you?
when the autumn was longing for cold   did it tie   winter's resolution?

your eyes weren't dangling question marks   they'd applied exclamations
did their hauter desire to revivify     winter's resolution?

your lips hold the answer!   O let me ask them   all of my questions
I'll interrogate     till they nullify     winter's resolution

when Ardeo first glimpsed your cheek   he seemingly lost his nerve
could such summer gold     finally fructify     winter's resolution?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home