Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Wintery Paradox   [sonnet]

For you alone     my mouth is filled with words
for you alone     my mind's aflood with thought
my tree desires nothing     but your birds
whose music is my happiness     the naught

that winter brings   (when birds & flowers flee)
the absence     now occasioned by the cold --
this principally   brings no concern to me
except to the degree   it serves to hold

your absence   implicated in this closing
your silence   in the swirl of all this dark --
as if you too   were subject to (supposing
you mortal)   winter's stealth & deathly mark

      my heart cannot accept   the visual lie
      my empty branches murmur   to the sky




[Posted this morning as a first contribution to the Shakespeare & Company blog]

4 Comments:

Blogger Aurelius said...

Your poems' have that something that seperates the mundane from the inspirational. Nice to stumble accross quality. Stay groovy.

Tue Dec 20, 09:28:00 PM PST  
Blogger david raphael israel said...

yes -- but -- if they separate (as you say) . . . which side of that divide are they on!? ;-)

dankeschön (withal), d.i.

Tue Dec 20, 09:37:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jyotsna said...

Hi! I really enjoyed reading this sonnet...and especially the lastlines... "my heart cannot accept the visual lie
my empty branches murmur to the sky"
Thanks for dropping by...
I'll be back to read more!
:)

Tue Dec 20, 10:12:00 PM PST  
Blogger david raphael israel said...

Thanks Jyostna!
I was likewise most happy with those 2 lines. (In phrase "the visual lie," there's a nice bit of idea-condensation going on, hmm?)
cheers, d.i.

Wed Dec 21, 02:00:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home