Sunday, February 19, 2006

Separated at birth     [limerick / rubai]

version 2:
A Limerick at the corner market   trundled into a Rubai
a shocklet of recognition made the   Limerick just about cry
"What village did you take birth in?"     "Ah!
                  the Persian Abode of the Shah!"
the Limerick wandered off quite shaken   under a taciturn sky



note: version 2 (above) can be said to display a beher (cadence). [It's a beher of my own invention, and is reflected in every line of the poem.] I'm retaining version 1 (below) to illustrate the revision process. I'd wanted to make the verse conform more exactly to a cadence. In rewriting (to achieve the beher of version 2), the poem per se was, I feel, also improved.

version 1:
A Limerick at the corner market   ran into a Rubai
a shock of recognition made   the Limerick almost cry
"What village come from?" "Me?   I'm Persian poetry!"
the Limerick wandered off confused   beneath a silent sky

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home