Thursday, March 09, 2006

What is grammar?           [blank verse]


you know more than you claim
(or than you'd wish to know?)
for grammar is the dress
pure utterance wears on visits
a ghostly thing without it
we'd have no way to see it

when it folds its arms the dress-arms
become folded exactly so!
it twirls & the dress is caught
in the spectacle of a twirl!

it's a gate allowing water
to reach our mental world
from behind the obdurate dam --
the mighty dam of the unspoken
O how it flows into the air of
our speaking & our listening!



responsive to Christina Hymes' poem,
I know nothing about grammar and grammar knows nothing about me

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great poem!

"What is Grammar?" makes me recall the Magritte painting of clothes and shoes in the wardrobe, only your wordsketch is fresh, alive and illumined; of the soul needing to be embodied even to be....except that you may reserve that for meaning perhaps.

Liked "most poems" very much too!

Fri Mar 10, 01:17:00 AM PST  
Blogger david raphael israel said...

Fingertree -- I'll have to track down the painting you mention. Magritte is a painter I like a lot, but I don't recall that one. Thanks for the tip.

Note: I also did an additional riff on the "What is grammar?" question.

cheers,
d.i.

Fri Mar 10, 06:51:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saw the additional riff,but while that attends to some terribly important things,this here, still has my vote!

Fri Mar 10, 10:28:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home