Saturday, April 29, 2006

Something about something     [rubai riffing]

When Rilke wrote his thing poems
    he used the word advisedly
there's something in the way she moves
    now muzaks high society
is something wrong with this picture?
    could be a thing to ponder --
when drunk on objectless awareness
    something brings sobriety

Where something wicked this way comes
    is something less than sure?
there's something about Mary
    or there's something in the fleur
when don't just sit there / do something!
    meets teeter-totter time
the Something Generation band
    enjoys its Something Tour

----------

In Ron Silliman's critique yesterday of the popular novel [and soon-to-be a-major-motion-picture] The Da Vinci Code, he notes the ubiquity of the word "something" in the author's prose. This point is mused on by Indetermenacy in a Comment to Ron's post. The above verses riff on these things.

3 Comments:

Blogger gautami tripathy said...

Though I come here, I thought this time, I will leave my mark here! I like this rubai!

You are so good as alway!

Gautami

Sun Apr 30, 11:05:00 AM PDT  
Blogger david raphael israel said...

I'm grateful that you did Tami, thanks.

As you might have noticed, I've worn myself thin (or perhaps threadbare) explaining and defending my evidently incomprehsnsible obstinacy vis-a-vis the absolutely horrid use of italics (of all things) in this otherwise anyway dubious excuse for a poem. ;-)

Perhaps in future I will say nothing about nothing.

cheers,
d.i.

Sun Apr 30, 12:33:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

Fri May 19, 10:52:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home