Monday, May 01, 2006

May Day   beginning with a phrase from Tagore   [rubai]

Time is endless in your hands
          but limited in mine
as the skyline's azure spans
          its starry-eyed design
the hours flee beyond my reach
          the seasons slip away
I long for sheer oblivion
          but lack a taste for wine

Time is endless in your hands
          & who can count your days?
patent is your pulchritude
          while hidden are your ways
even the wise are foolish
      how much more a fool am I?
morning passes   May arrives
          the greeny leaflet sways

2 Comments:

Blogger Blue Athena said...

Beautiful! :)

Only tripped a lil on this one,

"I long for sheer oblivion
but lack a taste for wine"

Somehow missed the connect between the two.

Mon May 01, 11:38:00 PM PDT  
Blogger david raphael israel said...

ah -- the thought is simply long these lines (to paraphrase): I long for oblivion, but I don't have much taste for wine (which might mean -- I don't much care for drunkenness; or it may have a slightly different meaning). In other words, that won't be my easy solution (vis-a-vis the search for oblivion). ;-)
thanks for the kind remark
d.i.

Mon May 01, 11:48:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home