Tuesday, September 26, 2006

The Goodnight Show   with Luc reading a Pantoum of mine


powered by ODEO

Click above and enjoy; or you can see (and hear, and/or download for your ambulatory convenience) here: Episode 15 of The Countdown
[from MiPO's Cafe' Cafe' Poetry Community]

poetry podcast runtime: 32 minutes 51 seconds

Poems Featured In This Episode:

1.   (02:14)   Allen Ginsberg, "A Supermarket in California" [Berkeley 1955]

2.   (07:38)   Christine Klocek-Lim, "Tonight I Walked Into the Sunset" (November Sky Poetry)

3.   (09:38)   Erica W. Adams, "panegyrize" (42 Opus)

4.   (11:17)   Simeon Berry, "Chemotherapy Omnibus" (Riley Dog)

5.   (15:48)   David Raphael Israel, "One Side of the Heart" (Kirwani)

6.   (18:28)   Jill Chan, "The Eye" (Navel Orange)

7.   (19:52)   Laurel K. Dodge, "The Bough Has Broken" (Do it again; this time with feeling)

8.   (22:06)   Amy King, "Causes for Celebration" (amy king.org)

9.   (25:54)   Alison Stine, "After Meat" (No Tell Motel)

10.   (28:12)   Mark Young, untitled ("so maybe there") (gamma ways)



For the past couple months, I've been contributing now and again to the group poetry blog Cafe' Cafe', hosted by Didi Menendez, and taking note of the rather prodigious productive activity of Didi -- involved as she is in blogo-publishing, running a net-based poetry magazine, physical publishing (including a new chapbook series, OCHO -- a recent issue of which includes a sonnet of mine), plus notable poetry podcast projects. The latter has been particularly notable on Cafe' Cafe' since a few weeks ago -- in the sense that when you access that blog, the embedded radio player automatically starts blaring at you (visitors, consider yourselves warned. A hit of the PAUSE control-button on the radio interface at right, suffices to shut down the gratis -- though sometimes likable -- randomly-selected broadcast.)

Readers of my blog may have noted recent, prolific engagement with the pantoum form. (I've blogged some 26 poems in this form in the past 8 days. Tentatively, I've in mind to complete a sequence of 50 of these short formal poems. I've developed the pantoum into a particular version of the form, it may be noted -- mostly with 3 8-line stanzas, though the first was five 8-line stanzas. More typically, pantoums appear in an indeterminate number of quatrains -- though always ultimatly circular.)

Unexpectedly, last Friday, Didi posted a comment on one such blogged pantoum, the 5th in the series -- a poem which begins and ends with the line One side of the heart is dark (a line I've borrowed from -- and with hat-tips to -- W.S. Merwin). She remarked the plan afoot to include this poem in The Goodnight Show [same caveat for that link: watch for the random-broadcast thing]. Pleased and curious, I waited to see how this should reel out.

Meanwhile, the format and process of the said poetry podcast has been evolving. This particular episode (at least) is hosted by none other than Bob Marcacci -- from Beijing! Bob I suspect might not recall that I enjoyed a little bit of email correspondence with him perhaps a year or so ago. I understood (from the Bufallo Poetics list) that he runs an open poetry series at a bookstore in Beijing, and was curious to know about that. My impression is, he somewhat randomly looked at my blog (due to the Cafe'Cafe' connection) -- on a day when, as it happened, this pantoum was the latest blogged.

At any rate, long and short of it is, Luc Simonic has done a credible reading of the pantoum. Bob has prefaced that with observations about the poem and its form that delighted me.

Hearty thanks to Didi, Bob, and Luc for including my work in this pleasant and lively production.

6 Comments:

Blogger The Wizard of Odd said...

lovely, di. On the whole, and the treatment of yours.

the beginning of many such mouthfuls, delightful in their taste and shape and surprise :)

Tue Sep 26, 09:52:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Shankari said...

Mmmmm, it was a great show all around!

Wish you had read your own poem - having heard about your reading voice from Pragya.


Congrats again!

Tue Sep 26, 10:55:00 AM PDT  
Blogger david raphael israel said...

many thanks Wiz & Shankari :-)

I'd briefly thought of offering my own recitation, but decided to see what they'd come up with. Starting from low expectations, I was pleased. (If I'd started with high expectations, the trajectory could've been different.) (I've exchanged a few stray comments with the chap Luc who read the poem, but had no notion of his voice etc.) Anyway, a happy experience for me. The serious attention that Bob (the master of radio ceremonies) gives to blogged poetry, is notable. Perhaps partly his geographical location (in China, far removed from centers of English-laanguage poetry activity) heightens this attention for him.

Tue Sep 26, 11:48:00 AM PDT  
Blogger M. Shahin said...

I like your development of the pantoum. It sounds more smooth than the original 4 line form. I wish you the best of luck with the completion of the 50.

I tried listening to the poem read by Luc, but I'm having problems with the audio on my computer. Hopefully I will get that fixed.

But I read the poem 'one side of the heart is dark' and I like it. I'm glad you brought up the use of using one of Merwin's lines.

I recently wrote a poem using 'do not weep maiden, war is kind' a line originally from Stephen Crane, throughout my poem as a refrain.

I wasn't sure if this was allowed but now you have answered my question. I thought I had read that T.S. Eliot also used some lines of poetry from others in his poem the Waste Land.

I've been enjoying the pantoums, and will have to look in your archives for some more poetry as you recommended.

Hope to read more of your poetry :-)

Shalom

Tue Sep 26, 06:53:00 PM PDT  
Blogger luc u! said...

pantoum's, especially good ones, are among the most difficult to read...

i thought my recording of it to be credible as well, however i would love to hear you read it too!

let me know if you ever do.

all goodness to you,

luc

Thu Sep 28, 09:48:00 PM PDT  
Blogger david raphael israel said...

Shahin,

certainly (in my view) one may borrow and incorporate words, phrases, and, if suitable, lines from many sources -- whether poetry or the street. One might (as I've been in habit of doing with this sequence) footnotingly hat-tip the source, for interest of readers (though custom and practice about this rather varies). But the custom of honoring and quoting antecedent poets is ancient and, I'd hazard, honorable. Thanks for your thoughts.

Luc,
at the moment I'm not in an audio-recording mode; but it may well get to that! Thanks again,

d.i.

Fri Sep 29, 12:48:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home