Wednesday, January 11, 2006

"Petals"                 [sonnet]

There came the possibility of speaking
it rose nor slow nor sudden in its way
so gradually wakens dawn   out of night sneaking
across the brood of dark   into the day

how say to what this speaking   appertained?
the what were vague   the who & why opaque
but something lit the fire   & it sustained
it lived for some unknowable's sweet sake

O long it dwelt in drowse
    O long in dream

I don't recall what dreams
    that drowse allowed

I live still in the dark
    but feel the gleam

of breath that lifts me up
    from slumber's shroud


      I am a voice     (or am I?)       tell me whose!
      & what gold petals float   atop these blues?




Index (with links) to sonnets on this blog is here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home