Sunday, January 01, 2006

FLAME & ASH :   A Novella in 14 Sonnets

1 |   "An olden sonnet"
2 |   "He'd been   this guy"
3 |   "I always do"
4 |   "Like olden days"

5 |   "Think about philosophy"
6 |   "A certain distance"
7 |   "His lens"
8 |   "Perhaps"

9 |   "She is the moon!"
10 |   "The mesh"
11 |   "Strange elation"
12 |   "Balance"

13 |   "Back to the bar"
14 |   "Trees!"





Subsequent sonnets:
1 |   "I think" 1/2/06
2 |   Why do we write poetry? 1/7/06
3 |   "Scribbling's vigor" 1/8/06
4 |   "Carved & shaped" 1/8/06
5 |   "Yes! this car was stolen" 1/9/06
6 |   "Inevident" 1/9/06
7 |   "Petals" 1/10/06
8 |   ARS POETICA: A Cycle of 14 Sonnets 1/13/06
9 |   "Fleeting photo" 1/16/06
10 |   "From forgotten music" 1/18/06
11 |   The new chic 1/18/06
12 |   "Sauntering to a somewhere" 1/24/06
13 |   God's present predicament [quasi-sonnet] 1/28/06
14 |   Unplanned Obsolescence 6/9/06
15 |   On email scholarship 6/21/06
16 |   Sir Gawain's sermon [singsong sonnet] 6/22/06
17 |   "The flow" 6/23/06
18 |   "In a shaded corner" 6/23/06
19 |   "Through a curtain" [sonnet ars poetica] 7/26/06

[the above list is missing several sonnets at the moment -- catching up]



Earlier sonnets
1 |   "Shall I compare you to a Shakespeare sonnet?" 10/2/05
2 |   "romantic tropes"
3 |   Form / Stream / Tow [rubai-sonnet]
4 |   The Road of Life [char-sonnet]
5 |   new moon [sliver sonnet]
6 |   predawn imagination [etiolated sonnet]
7 |   empathetic contemplation [etiolated]
8 |   lyric dedication [etiolated]
9 |   spare communication [etiolated]
10 |   disappearing act [rubai-sonnet]
11 |   Wintry Paradox
12 |   "Escalator" [blank verse sonnet]
13 |   Mechanic Bird in Journey [Petrarchan]
14 |   "In solitude"
15 |   "In semblance"
16 |   "My happiness"
17 |   "Winter's gelid circumstance"
18 |   "Dangerous"
19 |   "Tenebrous notions"
20 |   "I am a Xmas pudding" [Petrarchan] 12/24/05

2 Comments:

Blogger ~Nitoo Das~ said...

David,
You are right; his whole thing is very "ambitious" and very good. I like the idea of turning the form itself into a character. The dialogues between the two of you are also very finely done.

Mon Jan 02, 01:42:00 AM PST  
Blogger david raphael israel said...

River -- as you have been this blog's most early, consistent and sensitive Commentor, I'm delighted to note your encouraging remarks here too.

For myself, I feel tremendously happy with those dialogues, yes. The character of the Gentleman-Sonnet took form & specificity to a degree I've not heretofore had the privilege of enjoying as a literary creator. So for me, I view this little work as a kind of "internal milestone" in terms of the terrain-of-the-possible vis-a-vis imagination & writing.

I'm also (at the moment) trying to wrap my mind around the question of physical publication (i.e., in some literary periodical) -- a thing I don't normally (these days) much think about. But I want to do the Sonnet the courtesy of such physical embodiment in the instance, since he traveled so far (and shared so generously). That gesture of his, I wish to show as having fallen not on heedless ears. Otherwise (quite otherwise) stated: I do entertain an idea that this "Novella" could prove of interest to a wider audience than typically shows up in this obscure corner of the Blogosphere. [Which is hardly to detract from my general happiness w/ dwelling in these so-comfy precincts.]

But all this is a digression (or musing) -- though even thinking about ink & paper & whatnot brings to my mind a happy feeling of the Gentleman's possible asides & quips in the instance.

thanks as always,
d.i.

Mon Jan 02, 05:59:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home