Saturday, January 07, 2006

Why do we write poetry?             [sonnet]

Why do we write poetry? Thought it would make for an interesting discussion. Does anyone want to start?
            -- Pragya Thakur

"Why do you live in a house?"
    inquired the bear

"why not enjoy
    a life beneath the trees?

the pines   for instance
    seem beyond compare!

out here you'll find
    there's lots of birds & bees"


I thanked him cordially for his good intention
and then continued on with this at hand
a house you see I'm building!   did I mention
I build it line by line without much plan?

there's happiness in rooms   & certainly windows!
(the form of both of those   is based on four)
there's comfort in construction!   everyone knows
the feelings that appear   when melodies soar

      & song rounds out   into some pert conclusion
      & everything makes sense!     O sweet illusion!


4 Comments:

Blogger Pincushion said...

What a beautiful answer!
I could actually taste the sweetness of soaring melodies :))
..and oh! did I mention that my house has glass walls..??!!

Sun Jan 08, 02:02:00 AM PST  
Blogger Vijayeta said...

Beautiful! ...I've no more words... I just read it about 8 times...
:)

Sun Jan 08, 02:03:00 AM PST  
Blogger david raphael israel said...

Vijayeta,
I'm thrilled by your kind remark. (When so loquacious a writer says this, one must pause & wonder.)

Pincush,
literally -- glass walls? I have noted your blog so titled; this suggests the biogro-blogo-backstory, hmm? I'm vaguely guessing this may be in London (where perhaps birds are not unknown). Wherever it be, here's salutations for sessions of world-peering.

cheers, d.i.

Sun Jan 08, 02:32:00 AM PST  
Blogger david raphael israel said...

ps! also! btw!

kindly do not fail to note my earlier-blogged work (a week ago):

FLAME & ASH: A Novella in 14 Sonnets

grazie, d.i.

Sun Jan 08, 02:36:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home