Friday, August 11, 2006

"The radio in Los Angeles"         [penta-sonnet]


To me Los Angeles   is about listening to the radio
listening to the radio   is fundamental to Los Angeles
I came to consciousness   listening to the radio in
Los Angeles   the world for me opened in Los Angeles
listening to the radio   the radio in Los Angeles

tonight I listen to the radio   Johann Sebastian Bach
thanks to William Berger   broadcasting from New York
New York is not Los Angeles   while I'm anyway not in
New York   internet radio now renders Los Angeles
or New York accessible   anywhere (thus Washington)

and why do I think of Los Angeles when listening
to Johann Sebastian Bach on the internet radio?
why is the radio all about Los Angeles?   why is
Johann Sebastian Bach   about Los Angeles?
coming to consciousness in Johann Sebastian Bach

or in Los Angeles   I'm listening to the radio
listening to the radio   as if in Los Angeles




written to: English Suite No. 5 in E Minor (Glenn Gould)

this can be deemed the first "penta-sonnet" (hereby a new form)
readers of this blog may be aware I often write rhymed sonnets; but this need not preclude sometimes writing unrhymed ones

I was unaware that the amiable William Berger (classical music radio host on WNYC) is the author of such books as Puccini Without Excuses (2005), Verdi With a Vengeance (2000), and Wagner Without Fear (1998).

What might be the next title? Scriabin With Scruples. Or Satie With Sangfroid? Or Brahms With Benefit? But I've missed the mark. (Berger's books focus on opera.)

========

Technically, I never lived in Los Angeles (the city), but did live in the County (and, listened to radio stations coming from what seemed Los Angeles proper). I was in Altadena when this formative radio-listening (around age 10-12) happened -- Altadena being a small suburb (one of many dozens) clustered around Los Angeles.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ian Keenan said...

Thanks for that link to Berkeley radio btw.. I have listened to it a few times. I listen to KCR when I'm in NY and listen to it more on the net these days.

Sun Aug 13, 07:58:00 PM PDT  
Blogger david raphael israel said...

Thanks for the tip about WKCR -- will have to check it out.

The call letters remind of old KCRW; presumably mere coincidence.

Mon Aug 14, 03:56:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home