Sunday, June 11, 2006

telephone ekphrasis (a sequence)

Several months ago, I blogged an essayish note (Thinking about ecphrasis), pondering implications of writing "from" or "around" (etc.) a photographic image. As a writing exercise (and/or as a creative pleasantry), this topic (or, this procedure) arises from time to time. Most lately, Peter Griffin posted to the Caferati network a photo of a plain, old-fashioned telephone, a "dial phone," almost antique, with an ekphrasis invitation, including the proviso that participants could submit no more than one entry within any given literary genre.

Naturally, this somewhat encouraged in me the idea of exploring a range of poetry forms. As of now, I've tried ten. Here is an index to my resultant blogged sequence.

1 |   "Whom should I dial?"   [villanelle]
2 |   Unplanned obsolescence   [sonnet]
3 |   "Umbilically"   [ghazal]
4 |   Haiku   [haiku]
5 |   "I lift the receiver"   [rubaiyat]
6 |   "Rumination"   [clarihew]
7 |   "Ma Bell Reminiscence"   [limerick]
8 |   "Lorn & lost"   [pantoum]
9 |   "Black is the phone"   [terza rima]
10 |   untitled   [one word]

. . . and (2 days later) I've now added two more poems:

11 |   "RIP"   [trilimerick]
12 |   A Telephone Encomium   [ballade]

The trilimerick was innovated here as a way of extending the limerick form (into a triple-panel canvas, as it were).

And this is my first ballade -- a form I've long admired (from Villon and others).

Perhaps that will suffice to complete this little formal survey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home